Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Everyone has a role model??

Ever wondered why people need to know who your role model is? Actually, I have an issue with the framing of the question - it assumes you already have a role model. Recently, I cringed when I was asked this question in a class discussion that I was totally unprepared for. That was because for a really long period in my life... and now it covers close to half of my life... I have stayed away from declaring a role model.

Why? Simply because I don't get why I should set myelf for unnecessary disappointment, by pinning so much of hope and belief in something - an individual or institution. It is only human to fail other people, and even when it comes to institutions - they are run by a set of humans as well.

I have realized I am a happier person ever since I stopped idealizing the people I did. I was able to accept people as they are, forgive more and in the process love them for who they are. Also, I could understand people better, know and manage the pros and cons of my association and expectations.

As for all those people (and I have seen MANY of them) who idealize or worship or put social figures on a pedestal, do they have the right to wonder why the wrong leaders get elected or why their children are obssessed with imitating what they see on television?

And I may be trusted completely when I say this -- idealizing no only shackles and clouds one's judgement, it also makes one vulnerable and gullible. The disappointment may turn to complete apathy later.

Anyhoo, if people need to include that in questionnaires, they better include the "if" clause before assuming that everyone has a role model.

No comments: